History of Interaction Design Department________________
The Interaction design Department is established across the design, technology and media fields. In view of industrial high demands on talents of “interactive interface & web design”, “interactive programming” and “interactive creativity & exhibition design”, this department takes Interaction design as the development spindle, combining the industry of information & communications technology (ICT) with creative industries to develop farsighted, cross-industry key capabilities. Establishment of the department is in line with the national industrial development requirements, to cultivate and train the needed talents. With the government’s cultural policies emphasized on “promoting local arts, combining latest technologies, and assimilating into international markets”, the interactive technologies combining cultural & creative industries have been a surging trend, making the cross-field talent cultivation and collaborative environment a new target for the current education, and this is the momentum driving the development of the Interaction design Department. Furthermore, the government is also actively promoting the “Smart Life Technologies Application Programs – i236” and “Cloud Computing Industry Development Programs”, encouraging the industries to combine creativity and interaction designs for development of high value-added software and services. The Interaction design Department is aimed to cultivate students’ fundamental capabilities and competitiveness for the said industries.
- The department recruits outstanding students in the fields of electronic information, electric engineering, humanities, design &arts, and offers integrated cultivation and training for interaction design professionals. The graduate programs of interaction design are aimed to help students cultivate skills they can carry with, making them capable of integrating design and arts as well as applying digital technologies to interaction design professions.
- The institute’s curriculum is divided into three major fields: interaction design, interactive arts, and interactive entertainment.
- The interaction design is an application that combines technologies with media, focusing on user interface design. For example, Apple’s iPhone innovative value exactly lies in its intuitive and user friendly interface design. 。
- Moreover, the Council for Cultural Affairs’ Digital Collections and International Exhibit Hall’s Digital Navigation attach great importance to human-centric interaction; the interactive art applies technologies to art works, to manifest the artistic values, such as the light sculpture projection and outdoor installation art exhibition of the Taipei Digital Art Festival.
- The interactive entertainment is centered on digital contents, coupled with various media carriers for entertainment experiences, such as applications on Internet, video games, and animation. In summary, combining technologies, media and designs can add values of creativity to new products and services, to fulfill the ultimate goal of the Interaction design Department graduate programs – creative applications.