Contact Phone ：886-2-2771-2171 ext 8908
Interactive Music and Multimedia Lab：http://ilab-ntut.blogspot.tw/
Title ：Associate Professor
Research Areas ：Interactive Computer Music / Music Technology / Music Technology / Music Theory / Digital Music Production
University of North Texas
Master of Theoretical Composition, National Chiao Tung University
National Tsinghua University, Bachelor of Foreign Languages
Republic of China Computer Music Society Associate Professor, Department of Music, National Taipei University of Education
Associate Professor, Department of Digital Media Design, Private China Institute of Technology Associate Professor, Department of Music, National Taipei University of the Arts National Taiwan University of the Arts Department of Music Assistant Professor National Chiao Tung University Music Institute Assistant Professor Department of Media and Communication Design, University of Michigan Assistant Professor, Department of Digital Design, Private Mingdao University Winbond Electronics About IC Sound, Music Designer Taipei Digital Art Center Max / MSP / Jitter Interactive Audio and Visual Workshop Workshop Lecturer
Awards and Honor in Musical Composition
- At the End of Spring for flute, violin, viola, cello, harp, piano, 2 percussionists won the commission competition sponsored by National Taiwan Symphony Orchestra (NTSO).
- Elegy for cello solo won the TMC (Taiwan Music Center) International Composition Competition.
- When Wind and Rain Come at Night for Orchestra won the 3rd prize at the NTSO composition competition for orchestra.
- The stereo tape piece Rain Reflection was selected as Honorary Mention under Category A in the 2011 Musica Nova International Competition of Electroacoustic Music.
- Morning Rain for piano and electronics was on the finalist under Category B (electro-acoustic music with instruments) in the 2010 Musica Nova International Competition of Electroacoustic Music.
- The stereo tape piece The Journey was among the finalists of the 8th Città di Udine International Composition Competition of Electroacoustic Music.
- Trio Deep Silence won the fourth prize in Fine Art Creativity Prize administered by Ministry of Education, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Electroacoutic piece The Journey was among the finalists of the 36th Bourges International Competition Electroacoustic Music and Electronic Art 2009 under the category of sonic art in France.
- Electroacousitc piece The Journey was among the finalists of the VI International Contest of Electroacoustic Miniature held by the council of culture in Junta de Andalucia.
- Electroacousitc piece Tune of Wind, Rain, and Thunder won the Regional Composition Award in International Computer Music Conference 2009.
- Quartet Sail Away II for clarinet, violin, cello and piano won the 2007 Voices of Changes, Russell Horn Young Composers' Competition, and will be played by Voices of Change chamber ensemble in Caruth Auditorium at Southern Methodist University on March 25.
- Quartet Snow Spell for flute, erhu, cello, and piano was in the final list of 2006 Chang-huei Syu Internatioanl Composition Competition, and was sponsored to be performed in the final competition concert on December 5 in Taipei.
- The stereo tape piece Samadhi won the first prize in 2006 National On-line Arts Creativity Competition (under the category of electroacoustic music) administered by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan.
- The solo piece, Tune of Late Spring for Erhu solo won the 2nd place in the annual Fine Arts Creation Awards held by the Ministry of Education, R.O.C., Taiwan.
- The stereo tape piece Under the sea won the first prize in 2005 National On-line Arts Creativity Competition (under the category of electroacoustic music) administered by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan.
- Chamber piece A Message from the Night Rain won the fourth prize of the 3rd Percussion Music Composing Competition held by Taipei Percussion and will be presented in National Concert Hall in Taiwan on May 14, 2005.
- Chamber piece Dancing Leaves of Autumn for Soprano Sax, Alto Sax and Piano was selected and sponsored by Chang-Huei Shiu Cultural Foundation to be performed in “2004 Young Composers’ Masterpieces” concert in Taiwan on September 26, 2004.
- Composition Competition Winner of 2003 Fine Art Creativity Prize administered by Ministry of Education, Taiwan, R.O.C. (Sail Away I for Clarinet, Violin, Cello, and Piano)
- Call-for-Scores winner of “Tune in to Taiwan 2002 – Taiwan Composers Series” Held by National Chiang Kai Shek Cultural Center and Asian Composers' League of R.O.C ( The orchestral work Image of Time was sponsored and performed by National Symphony Orchestra at the National Concert Hall in Taiwan in 2002.)
- Winner of Hakka Art Song Composition Competition Held by Cultural Bureau of Hsinchu Council of R.O.C. (Endless Night for Soprano Voice and Piano)
International Conference Paper
- Cheng, C.W. (2016). Interactive Audio-Visual Performance System Controlled by Smartphone Based on Arm Movements. International Conference on Applied System Innovation. May 28-June 1, Okinawa, Japan. (EI)
- Cheng, C.W. (2016). Interactive Music System Design for Acoustic Instrument and Live Electronic Performance. IEEE International Symposium on Creative Computing, March 29-April 1, Oxford, UK. (EI)
- Cheng, C.W, (2015). Interactive Music System for Improvisation with Mobile Devices. International Workshop on Computer Music and Audio Technology, November 29, Hisn-Chu, Taiwan.
Major Musical Works
- ．Game of Colors (for orchestra and electronics, 2015)
- ．The Rain Knocking on the Door (for chamber ensemble, 2015)
- ．There is Pain, so Utter (for soparno, piano, and clarinet, 2015)
- ．Snow on the River (for flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, 2014)
- ．Autumn Thoughts (for flute solo, 2014)
- ．Chrysanthemum in the Rain (for marimba and live electronics, 2013)
- ．Dream (for soprano, flute, cello, and piano, 2013)
- ．At the End of Spring (for flute, violin, viola, cello, harp, piano, percussion, 2013)
- ．Tune of Falling Leaves (for viola solo, 2012)
- ．Flying Petals (for string quartet, 2012)
- ．Elegy (for Cello solo, 2012) (prize winner of Taiwan Music Center International Composition Competition)
- ．Morning at the Window (for soprano, flute, and piano, 2012)
- ．When Wind and Rain Come at Night (for orchestra, 2011)(prize winner in NTSO composition competition, CD released by National Taiwan Symphonic Orchestra)
- ．Time Slays (for soprano, cello, and piano, 2011)
- ．Soliloquy (for violin and live electronics, 2010)